Tuesday, December 09, 2008

It Is Hard To Stay Strong

I'm not really the stereotypical mother, so I've been told. I've been analyzing why I think the way I think. Metacognition if you will.

And I will.

Ok, this could get long and self-indulgent. Stop now if your time is valuable.

Here's a little secret about me. I'm into visualization.  I totally believe that if you can see it, you can achieve it.  I used to visualize myself playing sports. I used to visualize a married life with a tall, red-headed lumberjack (close). Now, I visualize where I would like to live, travel and even how I'd like to design my house.  That all being said, I never visualized me having children.

So, on my life went: married, employed, self-absorbed, sporadic, unplanned, always looking for the next destination, experience or at least the next get-together with friends.  I had no need for children.  

Now, I have children. Two.

I'm going to get to the point.  Here's the shakedown:

There are two types of moms:
1) Moms that have always wanted kids. Moms that before they were moms were practicing to be moms. Moms that before they had kids didn't really like to go out or get crazy, but are now finally most happy in life when at home with their children.
2) Women that will become the moms listed above.

I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that I've been trying so hard to hold on to my prior life. I resolved to not change who I was just because I was having kids. I didn't want to be like those women. Give me some examples you say. Ok, I will. I thought I could still just travel like always. I thought I could (Scott sold me on this one.) still go out anytime with friends and to happy hours.  I was determined to keep my sports car.  I was still going to raise hell and maybe take off some clothing after a night of drinking.  Yes, I was not going to let kids, babies, tots bring me down.

Well ladies and gentlemen, it is FREAKING HARD TO HOLD ON TO YOUR PAST LIFE once you become a mom.  Oh it is so hard.  And, let me just break it to you. Two kids makes it damned near impossible.  So, here is my struggle. I am laying it all on the line here in the virtual reality of blogger.  

I am about to just give in.  I am about to just throw in the towel and say, ok, I'm a mom #1 now.  Give me the mom jeans. Give me the minivan. Give me the Hobby Lobby membership discount card so I can buy stamps and ink pads. Give me play dates and MOPS and growth charts.  Hand over staying at home Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night and liking it.

But I haven't given in yet. I still visualize my camper, my road trips, my rifle, my cooler of beer, my campfires, my kayak, my dreams of adventure.  I just have had to add in the two little girls bouncing around in the back with a portable dvd player, juice boxes and marshmallows for the campfire. I've had to expand my dreams and add Scout and Brooke riding quads and purple dirt bikes, and fishing with their dad and learning to surf and snowboard and start a fire.  If I can see it, I can achieve it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now Ro - you know I never let a thing like a couple of kids keep me from adventure....and you won't either. Your mom didn't let it stop her either! You remember the trip to Wyoming when she only packed you a bathing suit and a pair of shorts....when it snowed! It's bred in you to be adventurous so YOU ARE NOT GIVING IN! And with kids named Scout and Brooke - you HAVE to have a camper, campfires, rifles and roadtrips.....their names beckon it. And it won't be in a mini-van - it will be in a kid friendly jeep. And you'll hang out with other moms that aren't afraid to let their kids play with fire or dig for worms. But you WILL have DVD players and juice boxes and snacks....packed along with your pretzels and beer! I've done it and so can you. And you know what my kids say? "One things for sure Mom - with you life is never gonna be boring!" And your kids will herald you with such accolades some day too!
Love ya - as a momma and a FUN friend!
Dee

Lena said...

Maybe we should have gotten pregnant in high school!!! When it was illegal to do all the fun things!! If we did, they would be our designated driver now!!!

Anonymous said...

Aurora,

You are and always will be the best mom ever..

Dianne

Anonymous said...

...and you made me cry!

Dianne

Anonymous said...

You are my hero, Ro. Sadly, when I was young, I didn't know the world could be such a fun place...I'm pretty sure if I voiced some of my secret desires now...??! But you can do it! Please don't change! Maybe I can. As I cower all hunkered down in the 'vette, I may even scoop out the Sara Lee Cheesecake with MY dope cutter. You and Scott treasure your time with those babies. Boy, do they grow up fast!

Mrs. H said...

Man, Ro! You made me cry. I like your honesty. And I especially love the part about expanding the dream to include to little girls bouncing in the background. Beautiful. :)

Li Li said...

For whatever it is worth, I think you are an awesome mom and that motherhood suits you better than you think. That doesn't mean though that you have to turn in your "watch-me-try-on-this-guys-coat-cause-i-am-sauced" card. It just means that you will need a bigger travel trailer for all the trips we will take when we aren't working in the summer! I see it now-- kids playing in the KOA campground pool while all the adults play kismet and drink cold ones. Huh? Huh?

Chancy Smith said...

What does it tell you that we all come to you for advice? That says alot about you and your skills! Umm, I don't think we call them Mom jeans anymor...they have been named Kim jeans. :)

Christy said...

Hey, I am so glad you are a mom, because you are the coolest and most fun mom friend I know. I mean, sure, we don't do the things we used to, but I do enjoy undressing our babies and making them sit together so we can take pictures. It is like playing dolls, but with real ones.

Anonymous said...

WElll all I have to say is that your the coolest damn mom I know! Welll of course besides my mom...and I hope I can live up to your calm, cool, groovy mom tude when I am a mommy some day! I Mean my mom thinks u have the coolest lil girl on earth and shes only 2! Luv Shay

Charlie said...

Oh Aurora.

It isn't *that* all or nothin. I mean, I don't believe all that business about the minivan from you.
[squint]

Unknown said...

Charlie,
So, you believe me on the mom jeans?

Ryann said...

I know I have been struggling with that holding onto that freedom card too, but I think watching these little humans do things because we taught them how to do it is pretty amazing. I think you are a super mom. We can still have beers, and have fun. We just have to do it with a baby bjorn on our backs. :)

Mom said...

Wow! New enlightenment for us kidless, self-absorbed, scared as hell chicks!

Judging from your blogging - I think you're still a kick-ass Mom!

KAI said...

You are so awesome, and I love it everytime you post.. you actually say what I only think of saying (are you reading my mind?!).. If my mom can travel across the US to concerts and pop up the ol' army tent out of the station wagon, I think you will be a-ok in the camper with the juice boxes!!! ;) Rock on, sister!