Pictured above: Camping in Big Sur on the Big Sur River in NorCal along the Redwood forest.Moving out of the Big D has been on my mind for a few years. Since I became a parent about 3 years ago I've been a tidge bit annoying with my web surfing for jobs and housing out West. I think it is a combo of wanting my kids to grow up in a more natural wonder type environment-not just mall play areas; coupled with my growing frustration with a routine-filled day. Before kids, my day was NEVER routine. I just did random stuff all of the time during my days and weeks. Now, I have to sort of take care of the children which pretty much puts you on a schedule. I don't know why but they like to be fed regularly. They require like baths and transportation each day pretty much at the same time too.
Anyway, my point is....well, I still live in the same place. I never moved. Now, life is pretty good here, so I can't really complain. I mean we have good jobs, live in a good neighborhood, have family to jump in and help in a bind, and good friends. So, it looks like there is no amazing relocation package in site.
To keep my mind busy I have conversations with it:
Ego: "Sell everything here and move to the Baja Peninsula. Teaching is a possibility and Scott can home school the kids. We'll sit on the beach every night and all learn to play guitar."
Me: I can travel to cool places for the kids to play in the summer, spring break, winter, etc. We have a sensible stable life here. Scott's right: We should stay put.
Ego: "Sell everything. Cash out the retirement. Move to coastal Central/Northern California. Buy a shack. Plant tomatoes. Teach school. Hike trails to waterfalls on the weekends. Take the girls to snowboard camp in the winter and surf camp in the summer."
Me: We've got good jobs here. Stay put. We have such a reasonably priced home here that we'd never be able to afford out West. The girls can ride their bikes on the sidewalk on the weekends. That was fun as a kid, right?
Ego: "Sell everything. Buy an RV and just drive around in it. Home school the kids. Sell stuff on the internet. Stop in towns for long enough to work a job for some $$ for gas for the next trip. It can happen."
Me: Just buy a small travel trailer and use it on vacations. Find the adventure in everyday living by drinking alcohol. Stay put.
AND IF I AM NOT MOVING AND I HAVE TO BE ROUTINE....
Then, I will obsess about a new plan of excitement:
1) lose weight
2) get a big tattoo on my shoulder/upper arm
3) wear a lot of spaghetti strapped tops
Pictured above: NOT ME. Yet.
10 comments:
that last scenario is my favorite. mostly because I remember seeing a little bio when I was a kid, probably on Sesame Street or something, about a family that did that. And I thought that was the coolest idea ever, to drive around in an RV all year long and homeschool.
the following is not an ideal situation, but it can/will happen in about 17 or 18 years (which I can assure you will go by at lightning speed!!) you will then have your kiddoes in college, and you can spread those wings and do anything you want to do, albeit a little delayed.
living my dream in california
aunt sandi
YES to the very last senario...not the rv thing...the lose weight and get arm tats! I am in! We will be back in the Big D before too long and we can wear tank tops and camo shorts together while herding the kids to all the mall play lands!
But, if you really want to move, I will just have to come and visit you in the gorgeous Pacific NW...I mean, twist my arm.
My vote is with the "ego" in any of the scenerios.....Kam and I will come join you if you move
J
I seriously thought that was your arm. Which is good because that means that you have skinny arms and could totally sport that tat. I like how that would totally blend with your stars. I say buy the RV and take off for somewhere in June and don't come back until August!! And I will meet you somewhere or come with.
Ro - its Dee. That's why you and I understand each other so well - we HATE ROUTINE! I seriously make it a POINT not to get to work at the same time each day, and on the way, I'll turn a block early or a block late just so it's not the SAME THING EVERY DAY. I play the Mind Game with myself all the time and we have some GREAT "what-if..." converstations. However, since my kid is in 6th grade and is in his SEVENTH school (because of my love for spontanaity and adventure) his teachers are telling me, "He's a great kid and works hard but sure lacks foundation in his math/reading/spelling skills." Yeah - that would be because we move out just before or moved in just after they covered some of those core concepts. So I have had to make the grown-up decision to stay grounded for a while....and while the lack of adventure could depress me - I play the mind games so it doesnt. However, that doesn't keep me from picking the kids up early at school "just because" and go do something random (like visit an Elvis shop and sing with the band practicing there). You know - to stay out of a ROUTINE! Also - your earthy roots have a hard time in this concrete world we live in. But that's why you have your great outdoor setup - with a fire pit, etc. to "take you away to those magical places." I set the teepee up in the yard for the kids all summer and they love it. I guess what I'm saying is - you don't have to do something MAJOR to do something adventerous and engaging. And in the mean time, keep thinking of all the great thing we're gonna do when we're once again foot-loose and fancy free (as in kid-free)! We're gonna be the 50 and 60 yr-olds driving Harleys through Yellowstone all summer! =) I don't think I'll get any more tattoos though....
Love everything about you and Dee! From someone who is totally cemented in routine who would love to break free and be spontaneous - I love your adventurous side. I totally live through you and that is sad. After 17 years, I truly believe that you can pull anything off...give it a try! Do it before the kids are in school. And what is Jeremy saying? Yeah, we aren't going anywhere any time soon!
p.s. love the camping in Big Sur idea...Jeremy and I stayed there on one CA trip! beautiful!
Ok, I totally gasped when I saw the tatoo. Then I laughed when I saw the "not me." Can totally see that happen. I am with you on the lose weight.....still want to meet at the mall.....not the same as the beach...maybe I can try to find us something similar. ;)
All I can say is, 2010 Baby. Let's sell the farm and find some land in the woods. Ultimately, it has to be God's timing (proved THAT in 1992!!) We will get out of the middle of Texas someday!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment