View Larger Map
Since I've returned from my trip to Cali last week, I have been sifting through real estate on the web for evidence that a relocation is possible for me and mine. It is as expensive as shinola out there. I've found a couple of pockets of real estate that would be financially feasible. But, they are not in a city we'll say.
Let me just lay it out for you: to move to the part of California I want, we'd be talking trailer. There I said it. Here is an example: 1500 sq. feet for $250K That trailer is like many others listed for the town of Scott's Valley in the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 10 minutes from Santa Cruz which is a place I love. Also, Scott's Valley is only about 30 minutes from my lovely sister and the bustling work mecca of Silicon Valley.
Ok, so we are back to talking about the fact that me living in NorCal means me living in a trailer. Right. Awesome. Spectacular. No?
So, what do you think? Is the California dream of mountains, beaches, year-round cool breezes and sunshine worth trailer shame? I know North Texas is pretty awesome, but I've lived here for now a total of 23 years of my life. Let me know what you guys think.

A sunset picture from Santa Cruz.
16 comments:
Living in a trailer could be that one step closer to a mobile home/camper that you wanted in the past. Or, it could be a step up from it depending on how you look at it, right? Or am I speaking of those things that I know nothing about?
i think it's worth it! but you've also got to consider the pay scale is bound to be different there too, so perhaps a small house is feasible? i think it's worth a look-see. california is pretty, and there's c, c, k, & r there, so good times.
Who didn't grow up in a trailor? Go for it. And you could tell people it is a "manufactured home".
Move - you will be closer to me. I could buy the trailer next door. We could have a compound.
I'll believe it when I see it. I think you are a Richardsonian for life. :)
You had me at mountains. If you can make it happen do it. Not that i wouldn't miss you but please....we are talking mountains here.
Move? To California? I would have to stalk you in your trailer! Hmmm, now you are giving me ideas.. I've always wanted to go back to California and let Kai be the beach baby he is.. we could trailer it with you next door! LOL.
On a serious note, it is freaking expensive out there!!! The two main reasons we moved: 1. no family there 2. no staying home with the baby. I think you would be fine!!
I think you'll regret it if you don't try! You'll always have a job at RHS; you should go for it!! You've gotta do a big move at least once in your life.
Who cares about the trailer. Everyone's done it. :)
Anyone wanting to live like that are isane and will probley not live long enough to regret it. I speak as an ex-Malibuian "The Bu" and it's not what it's cracked up to be. If you really want to live the San Juan Islands is where we landed it. Just awesome. If you went to Cali you would want to move shortly after you got there. It would be like a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. We had it all and dumped it as fast as we could.
I surely see the point of trying to get the fam together and cousins, but hey I am a horse of a diffrent color and quality living is my thing...Alone isolated trumps living in Cali.
NorCal could not be MORE different than Malibu...tho Ro Ro, I think your budget could be vastly improved if you maybe didn't aim AS high as Scott's Valley...it's friggin expensive there compared to the rest of the bay...BTW, I vote YES COME b/c I'll be visiting and i LOVE the pictures of the cousins together!
Oh yeah...and you could teach at a private school and make big(ger) bucks? I dunno...wishful thinking.
I'm always behind you all the way!!! Mom
Don't listen to Sam, she didn't trailer shop, she apartment shopped!
:p
And in Santa Cruz, there's no shame in a trailer, or riding your bike. It's just what beach people do and everyone thinks it's groovy man.
P.S. I have always thought that Santa Cruz is one kick ass place to raise kids.
But, Ro, you'd have to factor in the 'single mom' budget because I don't believe Scott would ever budge!
Auntie D
Jason said
if it was a city life you were considering than i would say no, but Scott's Valley, SC, or Boulder Creek (which is a great mountain town)is a for sure YES. and i would join that compound in a second!! Do it, Do it, Do it and DO IT! i going back to Cali, Cali, Cali...
J-Rock*
Post a Comment