Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Pink Cadillac Doesn't Tell The Whole Story


When someone says Mary Kay, I think of the lipstick I bought in college when some dorm girls' mom showed up one Sunday for a "Mary Kay Party." Since then, I've attended a handful of Mary Kay parties and I've known a few people that work at corporate, but I never realized the suprises the Dallas corporate office holds behind it's walls. Seriously, it was really cool.

Sunny and I went to visit a friend of ours that works at Mary Kay. We ate lunch in the lovely cafeteria, and then we were treated to a "tour" of Mary Kay's actual office (she passed in 2001) and the Museum! Not only was the large, pink, elegant office a real treat to behold, but the museum was actally really interesting.

Basically, visuals like checkbook registers, original products, and newspaper clippings, described the foundation and growth of the billion dollar privately owned company based here in Dallas that Mary Kay started with only $5,000 of her savings. It was pretty inspiring, as she was a Christian and a Woman who made her own fortune and still managed to inspire and treat the people around her with respect.

Now, I'm not going to run out and begin selling cosmetics, but I do feel like I can do anything I have the courage to dream up, and so can you!

No comments: