Wednesday, March 19, 2008

There Is Still More Texas I've Yet to See

I just got back from a little jaunt to the edges of Texas Hill Country. I started in Buda, TX south of Austin in Hays County. Buda itself is growing fast as Austinites spread out from the city. I stayed in Buda with my gracious hosts, my family the Murrays.

Day two took us down to New Braunfels where I met up with my cousins who have recently taken up residence in the area. They are just a rock's throw from the Guadalupe River not far from where the Comal River feeds it's spring fed water into the Guadelupe. The neighborhood is so calm and quaint, with the inviting blue/green river running close by, I could have stayed for years. I was even thinking of how I'd apply for jobs there.

Yes, the adventurous cousins (Malinda and Randy) have landed in a nice piece of Texas and once I arrived, they were ready to show me around the area including Gruene, Texas which was just 5 miles over the river and up the hill. I had never heard of Gruene before, but I'm glad I know about it now. It is a cool little town that is known for it's historic dance hall which is the oldest in Texas: Gruene Dance Hall. We went inside and checked it out, and I sure wish I could have had what was sitting on the table sweating, waiting for the next gig:


The trip was sort of short, so I can't wait to go back and give the area a better run for it's money. I hope I don't have to wait until next summer to revisit and raise heck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have gone to the gristmill resaurant in gruene for my birthday almost every year it sits on a cliff above the guadelupe river and has the best strwberry shortcake free on your birthday.

Charlie said...

'makes me thin of Lyle Lovett

Mom said...

love the lone star photo...makes me thirsty!