Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Tyler State Park - Texas Parks & Wildlife

Here is a picture of the drive into the park. I am motivated to return very soon.


What a great day out of town I had last weekend. I drove out to Tyler, Texas and took the pop-up for 36 hours in nature. The beauty of Tyler State Park totally surprised me. I couldn't believe that only 2 hours from Dallas exist lake front camp sites, tall pine trees, and a small spring fed lake where kayaks and paddle boats could effortlessly be rented. Christy and I sat by our campfire on the grass covered incline overlooking the still waters. Lisa arrived just in time for me to pour a final drink and for Christy to turn on the mattress warmer that she informed me was available on the pop up.

This is roughly how our chairs were situated:

This was our view from our campsite looking across the lake's inlet. The waters were so calm. Only one motorized little fishing skiff came by the whole time we were there.
People were surprised that I'd go camping for one day. However, I just love getting outdoors, starting fires, visiting with friends, and washing my mind of the "city dirt." Makes me think of this quote I came across some time ago:

"As to when I shall revisit civilization, it will not be soon ... I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and the star sprinkled sky to the roof, the obscure and difficult trail leading into the unknown to any paved highway, the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities.“

-Everett Ruess (1934 in Utah)

2 comments:

Ryann said...

Love all the decorations, and remodeling!! Looks fab. :) Wish I could have met you guys for the girl's weekend. Jealous. And love Scout hanging out in her princess costume in the background. Too funny.

KAI said...

Oh, that's fine.... come to Tyler where we live and don't let us know... sniff, whine...