Friday, June 02, 2006

The Southwest and All It's Glory

While growing up in Texas, all I knew about Arizona was that it was a hot desert of a state that we crossed in our family car each summer to get to California. However, after exploring the state during visits and when I lived in AZ during college, I realize more and more how awesome it is. I've grown to love the Southwest including the sagebrush, saguaro, mountains, plateaus, rivers, arid climate, and even neighborhood "desertscaping" that I used to despise. The Valley Of The Sun is ok, but I really love when you head north. We are heading out today. This first picture is of the central valley of Arizona as you head northeast from Scottsdale up towards Payson through the Tonto National Forest :

After reaching Payson we continued our ascent towards Holbrook through the Apache-Sitgreavs National Forest . That area is so awesome because it has pine trees, elk, several lakes. I makes me feel like I'm in Colorado.

Once you reach the town of Holbrook on the famed old Route 66, then you are close to I-40 and New Mexico. On our way out of state I wish we could spent the night here in these wigwams!


Also near Holbrook, there is a chance to shop for rocks and petrified wood at this little dandy of a place:
Once you head east on I-40 from Flagstaff and Holbrook, you can catch a glimpse of the Petrified Forest National Park...
....and the Painted Desert National Park:

Arizona has so much variable scenery, topography, geology and climate. I've been to many places within it's boundaries, but I've still much to explore. I can't wait until I can bring the dreamed camper back and put in some time lounging by rivers, falls, canyons and even cacti.

No comments: