Monday, November 27, 2006

My Husband Is A Man of Routine, but I'm a Woman of Randomness

When you drive to work, do you always take the same route? What about getting ready for bed; do you have a routine? When you cook dinner, do you follow recipes?
My answer to those questions is no. I pretty much am a creature of NO routine. I've known that I do things maybe differently, but I never realized that I always do the same things differently. I'm not sure of the significance if any, this information carries. Executing daily tasks in random ways seems to offer some insight into oddness.

I'll list what I'm talking about here:
  • I often vary my route to and from work.

  • I eat totally random foods with no rhyme or reason.

  • When I arrive home, I don't have a set spot that I lay down keys, wallet, phones etc.

  • At work, I put my two sets of keys in a different drawer or spot each day.

  • I don't really carry a purse, but sometimes I carry a purse.

  • I put different increments of gas in the tank each time I go to the service station, and I don't even care if it is a rounded number! (i.e. $20.00)

  • I get up at a different time each morning. I rarely use an alarm clock.

I could stretch for other examples, but you get the idea. Essentially, I have very limited structure to my life. Hmmmm....what does it all mean? I know it means that my parents weren't big on "structure." Understatement.

Well, is structure good? Do we need it? Am I wrong? Does it matter? Why does it appear that structure is what we all should aspire to? I feel like society prods us...have a plan!

Well, I don't have plans. I only have dreams; with different ways to make them happen.

No comments: