I think I was about 14 when I began dreaming about me cruising in the Samurai with the top down and my hair blowing in the wind. It was the 80's, and I figured at anytime I'd be moving to Southern California, so it would all be perfect. I actually would have given up a kidney for a Jeep Wrangler, but I knew that funds were tight in my family and know one was offering the kidney trade deal, so I thought the Samurai was a possibility since it was so much cheaper. Thus, I set my sites on the tiny little SUV from about '86-'90.


Of course, I never got the Samurai. And wouldn't you know it, my tastes changed as the end of the 80's rolled around. About 1991 I hit my sports car stage and moved the Nissan 300z and Mitsubishi Eclipse onto my pedestals. Pretty much this stage came about because there were some uber-cool kids at my high school that drove these cars. I supposed I knew cool when I saw it, and it was a two-seater sports car with power under the hood.
I'd hate to tell you the cars I actually drove during these times. Let's just say that they were what we call P.O.S.'s. ok? I went off to college in '92, and had to pretty much just leave my car in a small Arizona town because it was so pathetic. I spent my freshman year car-less. During that year, I revisited the visions of me in a Jeep or even a sports car. No cool car ever arrived in Arizona. Instead, I got a silly little 3-cylinder car that put-putted me through the college years.
I remember my senior year in college when I started thinking about getting a real job and a real paycheck. I was student teaching, and I saw the newest dream car addition. The Toyota 4Runner. I was in fantasyland. I knew that if I could get my poor hands on a magical cool-alert 4Runner that I would finally arrive in this life. But, you guessed it, I never got the cool mid-90's 4Runner. However, I did get the Jeep. In 1997, after a few "real" paychecks, I went right up to the dealership and bought myself a brand new Wrangler. So, dreams do come true. First you have to dream it, then you have to work your butt off for it. Leave a comment noting your dream car if you care to share.
6 comments:
I still think of you whenever I see Suzuki Samurai's!
And I have the purchase of your Jeep burned in my memory, the day after thanksgiving. I felt like I was pretending to be an adult going with you to a test drive at a big dealership.
I too loved the Samurai. 3 kids had them at our school I thought they were pretty cool. One of my dreams cars was the Volkswagen Cabriolet or Rabbit, convertible of course!!
Ro, didn't you have a hoopty that was gold or bronze colored? Did I spell hoopty right?
i coveted my parents jeep grand cherokee. instead of driving that, they let me drive the YELLOW geo tracker. i was so friggin stylin'. yeah.
Growing up getting the "hand me down cars"...I just hoped for a car that didn't smoke year round, didn't lock up mid turn, had a ceiling that wasn't stapled/glued on, a sunroof that didn't leak so bad that felt like a waterfall. Then I said f- it, I'll just marry someone in the car business.
Okay Okay here's mine...I'm sure big poppa grandad has rambled on about this.The first car that I wanted but was out of my price rage was an old Jaguar, To this very day I still just drool over em. Well I finally resigned to "shining the jag on" went to a "cougar" loved em only the porn peeps in Southern Cali had them to pick up girls hitchhicking.. Well I wanted one. I always had boyfriends with cool cars worth a fortune today so I got to drive those beasts.. Carrol Shelby GT 500 Cobra Jet 428 and Porshes and Farrari, covets you name it. Classic cars galore... Anyway I wanted a cougar asked for a camero and got a 68 Firebird...Big slicks fun car the guys loved it. Big poppa drove a beautful 65 cherry red convertable mustang out to me and I refused to look at it. I just through a really spoiled brat tantrum and told him he can just drive it back that wasn't what I wanted. The rest is history. Now I have an 88 Jaguar for a spare car. Got it for cheapo 1 owner. It just sits covered I'll probably sell it for cheapo.
Post a Comment