Thursday, June 18, 2009

Livng Off The Grid

I'm inspired by this dude's off grid move. i have added john's blog to my blog roll. keep up. i will.

PREVIEW THIS STORY FROM THE JULY 2009 ISSUE...

Living Off The Grid

John Wells
Photograph by James Evans

NAME: John Wells | AGE: 50 |HOMETOWN: Outside Terlingua |QUALIFICATIONS: Runs the Southwest Texas Alternative Energy and Sustainable Living Field Laboratory, a personal experiment in green living / Chronicles his experiences online atthefieldlab.blogspot.com

• After working in fashion photography and set design in New York City for twenty years, I moved upstate to work as a building contractor. I had a huge, beautiful house on 32 acres, but the mortgage and property taxes were killing me—I was paying $1,000 a month in taxes. I decided I would try a debt-free lifestyle. I knew a couple, Abe and Josie Connally, who were practicing sustainable living in West Texas, so in October 2007 I packed up and moved. Now I own 40 acres in the desert, and my property taxes are $100 a year.

• I had experimented with sustainable living in New York. In the summer I ...

TO READ MORE...

Log In

This content is available to registered members only.
Please log in or register, it is fast, easy, and FREE!

1 comment:

John Wells said...

Thanks for the mention of my Texas Monthly article....ya'll are welcome to come camp at the Field Lab anytime!

cheers
jw