Thursday, June 16, 2005

She Blinded Me With Science

On any average day in June, I can be found spending my afternoon by the pool or maybe reading a book in bed getting out of the heat. However, this summer is different. I am working M-F all day. It has been a little difficult to accept. But, I've now been working for 2 weeks, and I'm starting to get used to it.

I am working in a research lab here at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. The lab I've been assigned is trying to find a cure for ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease) which is a miserable disease of the nervous system where the body is basically paralyzed slowly over (and death occurs in) 4-5 years, all the while, the mind stays sharp. There are six scientists that work in this lab, most all are post-doctorates. They are REALLY SMART and quite friendly and helpful. I have learned SO MUCH. At first, I was sort of irritated to be completely clueless when the people spoke lab talk, but now I am embracing the feeling of learning again. After being out of school for several years, it feels good to excercise my brain again. The specific project I'm working on is the field of Immunohistochemistry which, basically, is a method of staining tissues for certain proteins.

This has been quite an experience so far. I'm taking a real lunch break: not just waiting for a bell to ring. I have a desk and work with only adults. This building has plenty of soap, papertowels, tea, coffee, and comfortable chairs which are all rare commodities where I normally work. Alas, I'm not getting to travel, cook, read, shop, sunbathe, or take long naps, but so far I've found that this internship is worth the sacrifice.

No comments: