I've been thinking of a new direction
But I have to say
I've been thinking about my own protection
It scares me to feel that way
What's love got to do with it
What's love but a sweet old fashioned notion
What's love got to do with it
Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken
-Tina Turner
I often say that I don't believe in love. People look at me like I just kicked their cat. They may think, "yeah right, she's just saying that."
I guess I should appologize up front for this callous statement. So, consider yourself appologized to. Still, I really don't believe in "romantic love."
I consider myself a realist, a pragmatic. Love to me is an emotion, an ideal that cannot be measured. Love is an idea that the movies portray and books describe. Love is often confused for sex, lust, and hormonal emotions. My biggest problem with love is that it is a huge excuse to act retarded:
"Why have you been doing his laundry?" -because i love him.
"Why does he drive your car around while you ask friends for rides?" -because i love him.
"Why are you guys moving to Alabama?" -because he's going to start a buisiness there. and, i love him.
"Why are you still with him after he goes out at night with other girls, drinks away your money, doesn't do any work around the house." -because i love him
"Why don't you move out or start dating someone else?" -because i love him.
IS THIS ANNOYING TO ANYONE ELSE?
Love is BS. If you want to impress me, tell me you like him. Tell me that he makes you feel beautiful and smart. Tell me that he gives you money for new shoes. Tell me that he cooks for you. Tell me that he treats your friends good. Tell me that he buys you cards and gifts on your birthday. Tell me that he'll get out in his pajamas and get you some Nyquil. Tell me that he loves to introduce you to his friends. These are demonstrations of love.
To me, sex is not a demonstration of love. Heck, you may not even like a person, but you may want to have sex with them. To me, if you think you can't stand to live without the person for a couple of months, try it. Maybe you will learn something about your "love." You may find that you were right, but you may find that you like living without that person. Hello?
I'm sorry, but I'm just sick of stupid women (men are stupid too, but I'm not annoyed by them) who will hang around men that aren't all that because they women are "in love."
Where did all of this disillusionment come from? Well, I watched the Bachelorette last night, and she ended up not choosing any of the men. When questioned, she said that she "didn't feel a spark." Are you kidding me?? Those guys were great! What the hell? See? That is what I'm talking about. People will turn away good people because of the infamous spark of love. So, annoying. Here's an idea, what about a good guy that wants to take care of you? Sparks don't last anyway, so why base the whole relationship on it?
I'll reiterate; I'm a realist. I'm not a romantic. If you think I'm a bitch, well, hey, I probably am. I'd rather be a bitch with integrity that a sweetheart who gets her "heart" broken.
No comments:
Post a Comment