Sunday, July 08, 2007

Texas Food - Frito Pie

It took me a long time to summon the courage, but today I collected my ingredients and made Frito Pie . Now, my dad used to make Frito Pie for us back when I was a kid. However, secretly, I despised it. Fritos have always grossed me out and his chili was pretty hot, but I would trudge through it because we didn't have cuisine choices in my house. What was cooked is what you ate, or you just didn't eat. So, being that I was a total pig - I always ate.

Our friends left a bag of Fritos over here after our 4th of July party. I looked at the bag thinking, "ick, what will I do with those?" Of course I hate waste so I thought, "I bet I could make that old Frito Pie recipe and Scott would love it because it is total man food."

Today, I made my chili from ground turkey meat and served up Frito Pie. I loved it and so did Scott. It has taken me many years to appreciate that classic dish, and now I see it being served up in my house for years to come. I will pass on the tradition of the awe-inspiring dish that is Frito Pie.

6 comments:

Li Li said...

mmmm...frito pie.

won tong said...

LET ME HAVE THAT RECEIPE PRONTO!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that you didn't like fritos...huh, and I have known you forever. Love me some frito pie - I would like your chili recipe..since it is made with turkey meat. ;)

kam

Charlie said...

I didn't know you didn't like Fritos either.
They're from Plano, you *have* to like Fritos.

Yes, it's a food eaten for reasons other than taste, like a moon pie or okra. Memory food.

KAI said...

Heck ya! I made Frito pie a few months back and it was awesome!!! I had "fond memories" of eating it at the zoo...lol

Anonymous said...

i knew you didn't like the f-pie, but i am glad to see you have overcome your yuk of it and can enjoy it.

J-ROCK