Have you noticed the numbers underneath your plastics? I didn't pay much attention to them until I watched Living With Ed on HGTV which is an entertaining and inspiring show. There was one episode where Ed Begley Jr. energetically explains in detail each of the 7 numbers that plastics are supposed to have on them either on the bottom or on the side label. (Quick summary:) He's a total recycle nerd which drives his wife nuts and they butt heads. I like it all.

If you haven't paid attention to these symbols, start noticing because it is a useful tool to make you a better recycler. My community recycles numbers 1-5 and 7. #6 is basically what we refer to as Styrofoam. It isn't very recyclable. So, remember that when you are buying those Styrofoam plates or cups.
If you are interested in what each number indicates or wish you had heard Ed's soliloquy, I've put a list here:
1-PET: Polyethylene Terephthalate
Includes beverage bottles (like 2-liter pop bottles) and some microwave food trays.
Includes beverage bottles (like 2-liter pop bottles) and some microwave food trays.
2-HDPE: High Density Polyethylene
Includes milk jugs, trash bags, detergent bottles, bleach bottles, aspirin bottles.
3-V: Vinyl/Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Includes food wrap, vegetable oil bottles, and blister wrap.
4-LDPE: Low Density Polyethylene
Includes some grocery and department store shopping bags, produce and bread bags, and food wrap.
5-PP: Polypropylene
Includes some yogurt containers, some shampoo bottles, and some margarine tubs.
6-PS: Polystyrene
Includes hot beverage cups, clamshell containers for take-out food, egg cartons, and meat trays.
7-Other
Includes plastics other than the six most common, or containers made of multiple layered resins or blends. Includes water cooler bottles, snack bags, and condiment bottles.
So, find out which plastics your community picks up (or for some of you unfortunates, accepts at drop points) and start bagging them. C'mon, all the cool people are doing it.
7 comments:
I just learned about the "numbers" myself! When I got my Dallas recycle cart it came with a welcome kit loaded with info like that.
Sidenote: we should find a recycle/environment project that maybe the seniors could do for a community service thing.
I would love to do it.. but, noooo... the Boonies still aren't recycling!!! Hello, Forney, it IS 2007.....
i LOVE living with ed. did it go off the air?
Oh you KNOW I pay attention to the numbers!
They take pretty much everything around here, except stryfoam. But I do live in Sockswithsandalsland.
The second season is starting in September. fyi.
**NERD ALERT**
I can draw all those molecules :) Does that make you feel like less of a nerd than your above post?
samantha...nothing like organic chem references to top a nerd post.
Post a Comment