Thursday, February 10, 2005

I Listen to Hank Williams Jr. - So What?

I've never really understood the "finer" things in life. Opera, Fine Crystal, Europe, Art, Etiquette, Coffee after Dinner, The Symphony, or any other of these "silver spoon" affairs are nothing short of francaise to moi. I'm not sure if my lack of social eliteness is genetic or learned. Either way, it remains a part of me that some applaud while others are left with disgust for my lack of refinement. Sure, my sister likes and appreciates most all of the things mentioned above. Weren't we born of the same parents? Hmmmm...what happened to me? Well, whatever the difference was, I'm not complaining. I'm happy the way I've been made. Could I consider myself salty? I like that. Reminds me of the Salty Dog in Homer, Alaska. Remember that Kamie?

Regardless, I realize that some people think I'm trashy; mostly the French teacher-types (no offense Lisa) and the English teacher-types (no offense to robin, jen, chancy, lani, etc, etc.). I guess that is what one should expect when one drinks Lone Star Light and burps. Hmmmm, maybe I should lose the ballcaps I wear too? You're right. Keep the hats.

Well folks, tonight I found a classy-trashy affair that suited me. Tonight I ventured into an arena that I prefer not to enter: The Theater. My "cultured" friend Jennifer invited Robin, Christy and I to a production titled Pluck the Day. A Texas Comedy, written by
Steven Walters. The Texan author supposedly wrote the play because of all of the crap he has taken off of Northerners who think that if you are from Texas, listen to country music, and drive a truck, then you must be ignorant.

After we arrived, I admitted to Jennifer that I'd had only a few theater experiences, and none had been worth a damn. However, from the beginning this play was different. First of all, refreshments were in a wheelbarrow and shopping cart. Greatness. The set was trashy like it was set out in the backwoods of
Caddo Lake or maybe even Possum Kingdom . We sat in the front row right in front of the "porch" that was covered with empty cans of Natural Light, along with Marlboro butts, and leaves. There were animal heads on the walls and sofas out in front of the house. Enough said. The actors did a great job of drinking beer, cussing, and being just downright entertaining. I loved the show.

I guess that is the sort of play I needed; one that related to my blue collar roots. I sure can't relate to that "Guys and Dolls" shit. I mean, I don't know what happens in those shows, but from where I'm sittin' there is WAY to much singing and freaking dancing. What is up with that crap? I say take all of that "Hairspray" and "West Side Story" doo-doo and dump it.


See? There it is: my ugly unrefined side. I told you that I was easy to be disgusted with. Oh well. If you don't like it, kiss my trashy, uncultered, Texas ass.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Glad you liked it. My favorite part was seeing some ass!

Unknown said...

LOL..J-Mo

That bare ass with the Penguin tatoo was pure shock value, and a loved it!

Anonymous said...

I hid my face during the bare ass part...made me nervous as he stood there, for like five minutes, with everyone staring at his ass!

Jay said...

Personally, I find that quite endearing about you. Also, you might not want to take your friends to see Puppetry of the Penis, they sound a little squeamish! :)

Charlie said...

Who said I like crystal? ;)
Besides, I'm a freak of nuture/nature, I no one I know, especially our family, that likes art or theater.