We hear that word all of the time. If you are a teacher, you know it too well. If you are a student, you may dread the day. If you are a parent, you want your child to do well so you can brag. If you are an everyday citizen, you may know such tests are debated often.
In the great state of Texas, we have the TAKS test. It tests English, Math, Science, and Social Studies knowledge. It is very rigorous and difficult for your average student. There is high stakes pressure for the kids to perform. Schools depend on TAKS scores to keep parents happy or attract new students. Administrators and teachers stress about scores of students because their jobs may be on the line, literally. In Texas, they don't play.
After a lot of build-up with lunch tutoring, morning tutoring, Saturday tutoring (yes, kids pile in on Saturday to get tutored) the English (the other subjects will test in April) portion of the test smacked us right on the ass today.
Today was such a freaking beatdown that I had to come home and drink beer. Yes, I was so frazzled after being TRAPPED in a classroom for SIX HOURS that I bolted home and popped a top. MAN! AAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhh. Just thinking back, wears me out.
At 8:30am I got the supplies (dictionaries) and headed up to Coach Gerhart's room. I had my Biology book to keep me busy planning for class. From 9-9:30 I read allowed the test instructions, etc. From 9:30-11:30 I created power points on DNA. At 11:30 we took a lunch break IN THE FREAKING ROOM. What is that BS? I know, I should be used to it. We did this last year and in the practice test a while back, but seriously: ok, 17 year-olds, get your lunches out and eat at your desk. Yes, you can take a potty break. It has been 25 minutes; time to get back to taking the test, put your food away. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS.
So, at noon, I start to play solitaire, thinking, ok we've only got about an hour and a half. I can hang. I'll be taking up books, etc. I can make it.
Let me sum it up here:
- It was about 80 degrees and sunny. I was sweating my chi-chi's off. Totally made me want to fall asleep.
- I had NO INTERNET or EMAIL because I wasn't in my room. The other teacher in there was having a ball on his computer though.
- Absolutely no talking because we had a kid still taking the test at the end.
- The test is untimed, and stupid ass counselors couldn't get their shit together by 1:30, so we SAT IN THAT HOT STUFFY, SILENT, NO INTERNET ROOM FROM 9am UNTIL 3pm!!
- Then, from 3-4 we had to have some class time for attendance purposes. God forbid we let the kids go home. TOTAL ASS WHIP!
So, there you have it. My rant. Can someone figure out a way to not torture teachers and students with this freaking untimed standardized test????????
No comments:
Post a Comment